Hey everyone! I’ve heard a lot about intermittent fasting lately, and I decided to give it a try myself. Today is Wednesday, and I’ve been practicing it since Monday. I use the term “practice,” because I really think that’s what I’m doing at this point. Trial and error. I’m trying to find out what times, food, beverages, etc. work for me.
One thing I’ve noticed so far is that I drink a lot more water in the morning. I’ve been fasting between 8:00 pm and 12:00 pm the following day, so my first meal of the day isn’t until noon. In the morning, I’ve been drinking just room temperature water from the time I wake up (usually around 5:00 am) to 7:30 (when I get to work). Sitting at a desk all day is TOUGH when you can’t eat. I’m used to snacking at my desk all day long. When I get to work, I switch from plain water to hot tea.
There are quite a few benefits to drinking not only hot water, but hot tea, in the mornings. I found a list on Medical Daily’s site, entitled “Health Benefits of Warm Water – 6 Ways…” For example:
- Hot water is a natural remedy. It helps keep your body flushed of toxins, especially when drank first thing in the morning.
- It aids with digestion by tightening the intestines to “aid in waste elimination.”
- It has a calming effect. The heat from the water is soothing to your mind and body. It has an especially soothing effect on the abdominal muscles.
- It decreases signs of aging by aiding in skin elasticity.
I really want this to help me fuel my body better. If I’m only eating during an 8 hour window every day, I need to only put in things that are going to help it get through the 16 hours I’m not eating. I have a hard time differentiating “want” & “need” when it comes to eating. I’m trying to break that mindset with intermittent fasting. It’s hard for me. When I’m hungry, I think “I’m going to die if I don’t eat right now!” That’s obviously not true. I won’t die of starvation in 16 hours.
What I’ve been eating and when:
- 5:00 am to 7:30 am – Room temperature water
- 7:30 am to 12:00 pm – Hot tea (I usually go for chai green or blueberry elderflower [YUM])
- 12:00 pm – Spinach mix, a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese, a handful of walnuts, and raspberry walnut vinaigrette
- 2:00 pm – Granola! I use a delicious mix made by a local bakery (Urbandale, IA) called Big Sky Bakery.
- 3:30 pm – Chobani flip and about a cup of strawberries
- 5:00 pm – ShakeOlogy! My favorite it vegan chocolate with almond milk, half a banana, and a scoop of peanut butter. I literally can’t stop drinking these.
- 7:00 (ish) – Dinner. I don’t plan my dinner ahead of time, so I do a variety of these. Tonights dinner was tacos at home 🙂 I used carb smart, whole wheat tortillas, shredded chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa. Check it out on my Instagram story!
Have a great day everyone!